Progress Billing is an invoicing method for one-off jobs that allows you to bill clients based on completed work. Created with Design/Build in mind, this feature gives you more control over the invoicing process. It allows you to review the progress of a job and manually create invoices as needed or create a Milestone and bill their clients as those milestones are reached. Progress Billing can only be used for one-off jobs or for one-off jobs that have been split into multiple visits. Manual Progress Billing is best to use if you want to select which items should be included with each invoice manually.
In this article:
Enable Manual Progress Billing on a Job
1. Navigate to Jobs
2. From any Job page, under the Progress Billing section, check the box next to Enable Progress Billing.
3. Once Enable Progress Billing is checked, the Progress Billing Types will be displayed. Select Manual.
4. Enter Invoicing Notes (optional)- Invoicing Notes are for internal reference, only. If the client needs notes about how they will be billed, enter this information into Client Notes (optional)- Client Notes will show on the client's proposal and invoice.
5. Once you are finished setting up the job, select Save & Close
Generate Progress Billing Invoice
In order to complete items from this job, you'll use the Split Visit Feature to select which items need to be split into separate visits. This can either be done ahead of time, or as the items are completed. If you have questions about how to Split a Visit check out the Help Center Article
1. Navigate to: Invoices > Progress Billing Invoices
2. On this page you will find a list of jobs set up with Progress Billing that still have an un-invoiced amount. Once the un-invoiced amount is reached, those jobs will disappear from this page. To generate an invoice, select + Invoice (under Actions).
3. On the Create Invoice page, you will be required to select an Invoice Date.
Pre-populated invoice lines are pulled from the following completed visits (items that have been completed on the job). Select + Add Item if needed.
4. Make any changes to the items, quantities and totals. Be sure to select an invoice date (required), then select Save & Close. This will generate the invoice, sync to QuickBooks, and is now be ready to be sent to your client.
5. This Invoice can be found on the Open Invoices page:
Invoices > Open Invoices
Manual Progress Billing Video