For work that your business subcontracts out to other companies, it is best to set up separate Items & create Purchase Orders to record these as expenses. To record subcontracted Services and/or Materials, follow the steps below:
1. Create or edit the subcontracted Item with these settings:
- Default Price - the billable charge for this Item
- Default Cost - the estimated cost charged to your business by the subcontractor/Vendor
- Category - Material or Service
- Subcontracted - when checked, the associated cost for this Item will only affect the Job's estimated margins.
2. Create a Job with the subcontracted Items included
- Note: Mark the subcontracted Item as Billable & Actual if you are going to bill them to the Client using the Item’s default price. Mark the subcontracted Item as Actual only if you are going to bill the Client using the Purchase Order sent to you by the subcontractor/Vendor.
3. Create a Purchase Order to record the expense on the Item(s) using the following settings:
- Operation - this must match the Operation on the associated Visit
- Associate with - Visit
- Select the associated Visit
- Purchase Order Details - the Item(s) here must match the subcontracted Item(s) entered on the Job
- Billable - only mark the Item as Billable if you did not mark the item as Billable on the Job/Visit & you want to use the Purchase Order to charge the client for the Service/Material
4. Approve the Purchase Order
Completing the steps above will provide data on Estimated vs. Actual profit margins on Jobs & Visits with subcontracted Materials or Services. This information can be viewed on the Job/Visit pages themselves, as well as in profit and costing reports such as the Visit Profit Margin Report.